There is no spray paint that is rarer than spray paint that is copper in color. Being used primarily for metallic objects, copper spray paint is useful for detailing or restoring things to their previous form. In this article, we will discuss the best copper spray paint in detail.
The right copper spray paint will make anything look new in a matter of minutes. The wrong one will take much longer and might even create inconsistencies in the color of the item you are trying to paint.
Even though the concept of copper spray paint sounds simple enough, you would be surprised at how different they can be.
Types of Copper Spray Paint
Best copper spray paint makes the items decorative from dull. This is why in the field of picking copper sprat paint, you will need to keep several things in mind. Because in the market, you can see various types of copper spray paint, from which it is pretty challenging to choose a color that is particularly suitable for your project.
You can usually find good-quality copper paints at Amazon and some popular craft stores. However, in order to maintain stunning finishing, tone, and correct color in your DIY project, you must find good quality copper spray paint.
Our Favorite Copper Spray Paint
9 Featured Copper Spray Paints
1. “Metalcast” anodized coating by Dupli-Color
One of the most frustrating things to deal with when it comes to any copper spray paint is that most of their coatings are not able to withstand high temperatures. This is a serious problem, seeing as copper is a major heat conductor.
Fortunately, Dupli-Color’s Metalcast coating can withstand temperatures up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. This makes it ideal for coating almost anything and you can even detail the parts of your car with it. It’ll make any chrome and metal surface even more heat resistant which is what copper spray paint should do.
However, you need to apply the Metalcast coating properly. You need to be patient with it. It isn’t like other copper spray paint where you can just spray as much as you want onto the area. You’ll need to apply a little at a time. If you don’t, you’ll risk damaging the surface.
2. RUST-OLEUM 247567 Universal Hammered Copper Spray Paint
- Works on virtually any surface including wood, plastic, metal, fiberglass, concrete, wicker, vinyl and more
- Oil-based formula with excellent adhesion prevents rust, resists fading and chipping for a long lasting finish
- Fast drying formula dries to the touch in 30 minutes and covers up to 15 sq ft per can
- Prevents rust and corrosion for enhanced durability
- Hammered finish masks and hides surface imperfections
3. Rust-Oleum 210849 Stops Rust Hammered Copper Spray Paint
- Weather and corrosion resistant coating protects exterior/interior surfaces like wood, metal, concrete, masonry and more
- Oil-based formula provides a durable protective coating with excellent rust prevention
- Dries to touch in 2 to 4 hours and covers up to 15 sq ft
- Excellent resistance to abrasion, fading and chipping
- Hammered metal finish minimizes surface imperfections
4. Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paint Copper Brilliance
- METALLIC FINISH SPRAY PAINT – Embrace a sleek, metallic look for craft and DIY projects with Krylon Premium Metallic Spray Paint. It adheres well to most surfaces, including wood, metal, plastic, paper mache, glass, plaster ceramic, paper and wicker.
- DEEP, LUSTROUS FINISH – With a very smooth, high gloss finish, this metallic craft spray paint resembles actual metallic plating. It’s perfect for adding an on-trend finish home craft or DIY items or a touch of sleek sophistication to crafts.
- COPPER METALLIC SPRAY PAINT – A metallic accent steps up any room’s style, and is the perfect on-trend finishing touch to décor items and more. Krylon Premium Metallic Copper Brilliance spray paint is a sleek, classic color that looks elegant on any item.
- FAST DRY - The perfect addition to your craft supplies, this craft paint spray makes it easy to get a high quality metallic finish without breaking the bank. It’s also dry to the touch in 10 minutes for fast coverage to get projects done.
- AMERICA’S FIRST SPRAY COATING – Krylon spray paint has been trusted by consumers since 1947. We offer a wide selection of spray paint products to help restore, refresh and recolor any project. With Krylon, today we spray.
5. Krylon K02203 General Purpose, Copper Spray Paint
- Fast drying spray paint that has a durable finish
- Recommended for use on wood, wicker, plaster, paper mache, paper, metal, glass, ceramic, and plastic surfaces
- Indoor use only
- Color: metallic copper
- One 12-ounce can per package
6. “High Heat” Enamel spray by Rust-Oleum
While most copper spray paint is designed for applying coating to auto parts, you can also use copper spray paint for other metallic objects as well. Unfortunately, most copper spray paint doesn’t last under the extreme temperatures of other metallic objects that encounter these types of temperatures, such as grills.
Rust-Oleum’s High Heat enamel spray is your answer if you are looking for copper spray paint that you can use on a grill or a wood-burning stove. Being able to retain color and finish at temperatures upwards of 1200 degrees Fahrenheit, you’ll be able to completely detail anything you want with confidence.
However, the High Heat enamel spray is highly flammable when it is first applied. You’ll need to wait a while for the paint to settle before operating the appliance or vehicle you applied its coating to.
7. “American Accents” ultra cover spray paint by Rust-Oleum
Most copper spray paint is extremely limited in that you can usually only use it on metallic or chrome surfaces. You are in for a very time consuming search as well as a costly search if you are looking for spray paint that you can use on other surfaces.
One of the best things about Rust-Oleum’s American Accents sprays paint is that you can use it on practically any surface. You can use it on wood, plastic, and unglazed ceramic just like you can use it on metallic and chrome surfaces.
Achieving a pure finish with the American Accents spray paint will take a lot more of it than other spray paints. You’ll need to stock up on it if you need it for any large scale project and this is something that you should be aware of.
8. “Big Rig” professional coating spray paint by Seymour Paint
One of the biggest sources of frustration that anybody who uses copper spray paint faces is that they know that they are going to need a lot more than one can of paint to completely finish any large scale project. There doesn’t seem to be a solution to this, either.
Seymour Paint has created a solution to this with their Big Rig coating spray paint. It covers a lot more area than other aerosol paint does. 3 to 4 times more, in fact. It protects against oil, rust, and other corrosion just like any other aerosol paint does as well, making it perfect for large scale projects.
Heat resistance is the only thing that the Big Rig struggles with, and it struggles with heat resistance a lot. It can only withstand temperatures up to 400 or so degrees, far under the industry standard of 500.
9. Metallic spray paint by Krylon
Not only are most surface spray paints lacking in terms of what kinds of surfaces you can use them on, but they also take forever to dry. While you have a decent amount of options for paint when it comes to chrome and metallic objects, you don’t have those options when it comes to other surfaces.
Although Krylon’s spray paint is mainly designed for metallic surfaces, you can use it on other surfaces as well, such as glass, wood, or wicker. Even better, it dries to the touch in 10 minutes and to the handle in 2 hours. You won’t need to wait an entire day for it to dry like other kinds of surface spray paint.
Unfortunately, Krylon’s surface spray paint is for indoor use only. It does not resist high temperatures because of how quickly it dries. It’s nice to have if you want to make some of the furniture in your home look like new. You’ll need something else for auto parts or a grill.
How to Choose the Best Copper Spray Paint?
Whether you want to paint any metal object or furniture, copper spray paint ranks top of the list. The color and finish both satisfy the users.
But you’ve to consider a few characteristics that define the best copper spray paint, and I’m ready to help you out with that.
So let’s get straight to the point.
On which surface you’re going to apply the paint determines which copper spray paint you need to buy. Manufacturers put a recommendation on the packaging.
Most people buy copper spray paints for applying to metallic objects.
You need to consider whether you’re using the paint on the interior or exterior.
If you’re planning to paint on an exterior surface, the paint must be durable enough and competent to prevent rust. Otherwise, the color will start to peel off in regular use.
So, before buying, check for its compatibility with the exterior.
Do you need a primer and paint combo or only the paint?
When you don’t want to spend time preparing the surface, the paint with primer is the best option for you.
The finish type defines what paint you need to buy. For example, If you want a matte finish, you’ve to look for a spray paint containing less luster.
Drying time is an essential factor as you cannot wait for a long time to finish the entire painting process. If you can’t afford a long time, get the paint that dries faster.
Water and Heat Resistant
You’ll find a lot of spray paints that are vulnerable to heat and water. When painting an automobile part or something in the exterior, the paint must tolerate heat and moisture. Otherwise, the color will peel off and won’t last long.
Copper and metallic spray paints are absolutely necessary if you want the parts of your car to resist corrosive substances. Coat these parts with the proper paint and you will notice a difference in how your car performs.
If your grill doesn’t look as impressive as it used to, apply some metallic spray paint to it and it will look like new. Metallic spray paint even works on certain pieces of furniture in your home that have a glass or wood surfaces.
You are missing out on a lot if you haven’t taken the time to experience what you can do with copper spray paint. Take some time to explore what it can do for you.