A laptop with a dedicated GPU is a necessity for interior design and architecture students. It is no longer necessary for architects to work on a PC or wait hours for designs to render. As a beginner or a student, you will need something that you can use.
Professional architects may still afford computers, but those are just starting, and students will need something portable. Architects and students need systems that are not only powerful but also portable and have a dedicated GPU. So selection of the best laptop for architecture is crucial for you.
Architects need to deal with high-end designing programs like 3d Max and Revit. As of today, they do not require software such as AutoCAD for the entire design. A traditional laptop can not handle designing software capable of rendering heavy designs, so it is likely not to work if an architect wishes to run it. If it does work, rendering will be slow.
Laptop manufacturers are now developing computers that can do everything in just a matter of minutes with the advancements made in nearly every industry.
It isn’t necessary to spend over $3000 on a laptop like this. In my next paragraph, I will mention some laptops you can purchase for a fraction of the price. If you don’t have a budget constraint, I will mention some very powerful and expensive.
Are you interested in learning which laptops are the best for architecture students and the best laptops for architects? Take a sip of tea, and let’s get started.
The use of laptops in architecture and interior design is becoming increasingly popular. I will describe here the best laptops for AutoCAD and architectural designing.
10 Best Laptop for Architects: Beginner to Advanced
1. ASUS VivoBook 15 Thin and Light Laptop
With its powerful performance, this laptop is very light and looks attractive. In keeping with the thin and portable laptop trend, ASUS VivoBook 15 is designed to take full advantage of the latest technology.
The laptop displays a 1920×1080 resolution on its 15.6-inch display. For smooth operation, this laptop is equipped with a processor of the 8th generation Core i3 with 4M cache and a maximum clock speed of 3.4GHz. Moreover, it comes with 8GB of RAM and 256GB of SSD storage for fast data transfer and storage.
In terms of graphics, this laptop boasts integrated Intel UHD graphics cards for smooth graphics use, which is needed for architectural drawing.
The fingerprint reader on this laptop, the ports, and the wireless connectivity modules are all very good. There is a backlit keyboard, a responsive touchpad, and a long battery life on this laptop. Let’s look at the remarkable features of this laptop in more detail.
CPU and GPU:
This laptop is powered by an 8th generation Intel Core i3 processor with 4M cache. The base clock speed of the processor is 1.5GHz, and the turbo boost allows it to boost that speed to 3.4GHz further. The performance of this laptop is excellent for architects who need to use heavy designing software.
ASUS VivoBook 15 comes with an integrated graphics card that uses Intel UHD graphics. It works well for low to mid-range software, even though the graphics card is not that powerful. These graphics are more than sufficient for students or beginners since they aren’t involved in high-end design or architecture.
RAM and Storage:
Concerning the RAM, this laptop has massive 8GB of DDR4 memory. Even heavy architecture design software will run smoothly with RAM because RAM speeds up data processing for the processor. Additionally, the user can multitask and will also substantially reduce the time required to render a design.
The laptop comes with a 128GB SSD as part of the storage section. Generally, SSDs have a quick access time. Furthermore, it also results in a faster startup of games and a quicker operating system boot. While 128GB of SSD may seem lacking for a laptop, it’s pretty sufficient for architecture design if one is only planning on using it for architecture design.
With a 15.6-inch FHD screen and 1920 x 1080 pixel resolution, you get the best graphics of any laptop. Despite the thin bezels surrounding the screen, this laptop is still attractive and appealing. There are no problems with this laptop’s screen at sharp angles.
Even though this laptop has no dedicated graphics card, it still provides vivid, colorful, and lifelike graphics to the user that assist him in making architectural designs.
On a single charge, the battery of the ASUS VivoBook 15 lasts for more than seven hours. The fast-changing technology allows your laptop to get charged up to 60% in just 50 minutes. The user can avoid a great deal of trouble with this feature. Moreover, this laptop offers long battery life, so you don’t have to worry about finding a power outlet if you’re going for a walk.
ASUS VivoBook 15 comes with several unique features. The fingerprint reader on this laptop not only lets the user unlock the laptop four times faster than typing a password but also makes online payments safer.
A full-size backlit keyboard comes with the ASUS VivoBook 15. The placement of the keys on the keyboard is optimal, allowing for easy typing. A high level of responsiveness is also evident on the touchpad. With a single touch, you can initiate voice commands from your touchpad to your laptop.
As well as being able to attend virtual meetings with the client, this laptop has 720p cameras, stereo audio systems, and a good microphone.
It has 2 USB ports, Type A and Type C, an SD card reader, an HDMI port and fast charging port, Bluetooth version 5, and just 3.75Lbs weight.
This laptop is an excellent choice for students who have a tight budget. It is an entry-level best laptop for architecture students that can handle a smooth architectural design.
- 8th Generation intel core i3 processor with 4MB Cache upto 3.9 GHz
- 8 GB DDR4 RAM
- 128 GB SSD Flash Memory
- Intel UHD 620 Graphics
- 1920 x 1080 Pixels Maximum Screnn resolution
2. ASUS TUF Dash 15 (2021) Ultra Slim Gaming Laptop
ASUS Dash F15 offers outstanding performance at an attractive price point, making it the latest gaming laptop from ASUS.
You can take this laptop anywhere with you, as it is very slim and portable. Also, the ASUS TUF F15 is considered one of the most powerful laptops for architects in 2021.
On the other hand, a great device like TUF provides excellent features on a low budget. Of course, if you want to implement RTX graphics in the future, you will need to use a high-speed CPU chipset. Nevertheless, for architecture students, it is one of the best mid-range budget laptops.
A powerful CPU makes tasks like browsing the web and using the internet a breeze. Intel Core i7-11370H processors offer up to four times the turbo boost power and 12M cache to support this. As a result, architects and engineers will gain strength through everyday work and entertainment.
The graphics card also comes with the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti GDDR6 up to 1585MHz with 4 GB of graphics memory. Therefore, it can also run very smoothly on your laptop and is suitable for playing games and streaming media.
The laptop has 8 GB of DDR4 RAM with a memory speed of 3200 MHz, which is very useful for multitasking, but will increase the laptop’s load time and 512GB of SSD storage space, enough for storing all of your data.
Here, you’ll find that the battery is outstanding; even after you’ve completed all your work continuously throughout the day, it will still be able to last up to 16.6 hours so that you can manage any project.
There are several ports and connectors for connecting your favorite devices, including Bluetooth, 802.11ax, two USB 3.0 ports, HDMI 2.0b ports, and DisplayPort 1.4, as well as Thunderbolt 4 Type-C ports, a headset, and RJ45 combos.
Display and Design
With its 15.6-inch 144Hz IPS screen, the ASUS TUF Dash 15 is equipped with adaptive synchronization, offering a maximum screen resolution of (1920×1080).
You can draw your architectural projects at lightning speed thanks to its 144Hz IPS-level panel. By utilizing Adaptive-Sync technology, the GPU uses the display to sync its refresh rate with the display’s frame rate to minimize stutters and visual obstructions. Thus, tear creates an immersive and seamless gaming experience.
The new TUF Dash F15 provides a powerful Windows 10 gaming experience in an ultra-thin chassis. This TUF chassis meets strict MIL-STD stability tests. For gaming laptops, it doesn’t weigh much. It weighs 4.41 lbs (2.00 kg).
It also has ASUS cooling system technology. Complete cooling can maintain the long-term reliability of the system and extend the life of the Dash F15. In addition, it has an excellent backlit keyboard and an ultra-fast Thunderbolt 4 port.
3. Dell XPS 13 9310 Touchscreen 13.4 inch FHD Thin and Light Laptop
Among the top laptops for architects and architecture students, Dell XPS is very popular.
Due to its extensive new features and outstanding design, this product stands out among others on the market. Computer science students also prefer the Dell XPS 13 9570.
This version uses the Intel Core i7-1185G7 processor and a 12MB cache on the 11th generation Dell XPS 13. In addition, this notebook computer features Intel Turbo Boost technology that allows it to operate at 4.8 GHz.
It has a hexacore processor, which can provide high processing speeds and lag-free processing. In addition, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, with shared graphics memory, is among the most powerful graphics cards.
Furthermore, modern GPUs are capable of smooth processing, gaming, and animation. Dedicated graphics cards will provide a higher version.
RAM and Storage
The 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of RAM 4267 MHz LPDDR4x on this laptop are large enough to store architects’ courses and student data.
The system can cope with the load because of the large amount of storage and memory. Since many programs and applications need to be downloaded, you can choose “Customization and Upgradeability” to increase RAM and storage.
The 13.4-inch screen provides a widescreen display, thanks to the InfinityEdge touch anti-reflective display. In addition, it is capable of displaying a maximum brightness of 500 Nit (1920 x 1200 pixels).
Thus, you need not compromise with the screen; you can use it wherever you need it. Increasing the viewing angle and quality of the images is possible with full HD technology. The display could have been 2K, but it is still okay.
The touchpad and keyboard of this laptop are large and very good because you can use multiple gestures. If you want to use the numeric keypad, please select the 15-inch version.
It has an excellent backlit keyboard that can help you use it in dim light and at night. I like the 13-inch version because of its keyboard and portability. Some buyers face a problem with the touchpad but, it will run smoothly after updates.
Despite all these features, it still allows students to have a longer battery time to complete their work without being effectively interrupted.
The battery can last for 10 to 12 hours and supports fast charging. Always choose a laptop with a longer battery life that has all the necessary features.
AX1650 with Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 5.1 make this the perfect device for everyone. The dual fans also enable broader distribution of heat thanks to their separation.
It has good thermal management thanks to Intel’s dynamic adjustment technology.
With a weight of 1.28 kilograms (1.28 pounds), this laptop is highly portable. On the Dell XPS 13, there is a Thunderbolt 3 port. The operating system is Windows 10 Pro, and it is based on Windows 10 Pro.
Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 2 ports are available. One microSD card reader, a 3.5mm headphones/microphone combo jack, and one Type-C to USB-A v3.0 adapter. Computer science students should consider the Dell XPS 13.
4. Acer Flagship Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop
If you put Predator Helios 300 on your shopping list, Asus TUF gaming should obviously be your top priority. But Acer should not be left out either. Since Predator Helios has been in development for a long time, its market has been prepared for game enthusiasts.
Featuring an Intel Core i7-10750H processor, this laptop is of the 10th generation. Up to 5.0 GHz is the speed of the 6Core processor. In addition, the DIA’s GeForce RTX 2060 graphics card features 6GB of GDDR6 VRAM dedicated to overclocking.
Thanks to the powerful 6GB video RAM, you can run highly graphically intensive applications without interruption. To execute the exe application, just click on the ‘run’ button.
With 16GB of DDR4 RAM, you can store a large amount of data. In order to execute all your plans, you have to click on them right away.
A 15.6″ widescreen with full HD and an LED-backlit display is included in the package. The display has a 144Hz refresh rate and a 3 ms overdrive response time at 300 nits. There are two M.2 slots on the 512 GB NVMe SSD. A slot among those is upgradeable.
These upgradeable slots enable you to add and store more information in your system by expanding your memory space. In addition, the RGB backlit keyboard can withstand fast strokes during a gaming session with its beautiful aesthetic appearance and sturdy design.
Helios Predator 300 is quite impressive in terms of connectivity options and outperforms the competition. For example, there is a Wireless AX 1650i 802 option on the Killer Double shot Pro.
This laptop features Wi-Fi 6 support, which helps connect to nearby local area network devices. When your device is connected, you will enjoy unlimited browsing and install architectural plugin updates. Using the 3D fan that comes with this laptop, your CPU processor will remain cool if it becomes too hot. You will consider this one of the best laptop for architects.
Additional Highlighted Features
- High-quality DTS X audio.
- Bluetooth technology is included.
- For high definition 4K+/graphics tasks, 16GB DDR4 RAM storage is combined with 6GB DDR6 VRAM.
- Enjoy high-definition gaming with the ultra-clear sound effect.
- There are several Ethernet E2600 options available, including 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet.
- Upgradeable SSD slot.
5. HP 15 Laptop, 11th Gen Intel Core i5-1135G7 Processor, 8 GB RAM
- TAKE IT ANYWHERE – With its thin and light design, 6.5 millimeter micro-edge bezel display, and 82% screen to body ratio, you can take this PC anywhere and see more of what you love (1).
- REVOLUTIONARY ENTERTAINMENT – Enjoy ultra-wide viewing angles and seamlessly perform multi-monitor set-ups with a 15.6-inch, Full HD, IPS, micro-edge, and anti-glare display (2).
- IMPRESSIVE GRAPHICS – The Intel Iris Xe Graphics gives you a new level of performance with crisp, stunning visuals, plus the convenience of a thin and light laptop (3).
- UNSTOPPABLE PERFORMANCE – Get things done fast with the 11th Generation Intel Core i5-1135G7 processor, which delivers instant responsiveness and best-in-class connectivity (4).
- MEMORY AND STORAGE – Get up to 15x faster performance than a traditional hard drive with 256 GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD storage and experience improved multitasking with higher bandwidth thanks to 8 GB of RAM (5).
6. Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 15 15.6″ Laptop
- Fueled by the revolutionary AMD Ryzen 5000 H-Series mobile processor, this IdeaPad gaming laptop delivers the wins. With 6 ultra-responsive cores, it's the new standard for gaming performance in innovative, thin, and light laptops
- 15.6" FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS display with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 GPU to supercharge your favorite games. Slingshot your gaming visuals with 120Hz refresh rate for tear-free gaming
- 8GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM memory and 256GB M.2 PCIe SSD storage
- Connectivity: RJ45 Ethernet, 2x2 WiFi 802.11 ax, Bluetooth 5.0; 720p HD webcam and microphone array with privacy shutter; HDMI, USB-C
- 2 x 2W speakers with Nahimic Audio for Gamers; spacious gaming keyboard with white backlight
7. HP Pavilion 15 Business Laptop Computer
- [POWERFUL PERFORMANCE]: The HP Pavilion Laptop is powered with the latest 10th Gen Intel Quad-Core i5-1035G1 Processor (Eight-way processing, Up to 3.6GHz) and 16GB high-bandwidth DDR4 memory, powerful processing for advanced multitasking, demanding computing, smooth gaming, multiple tabs browsing, and everyday tasks. 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD (15x faster than HDD, stay cool and quiet) offers ample storage, quick boot-up times, fast data access, and improves the overall performance
- [PREMIUM DESIGN]: The slim and portable HP laptop is only 0.7 inch thin and 4 lb light, and you can work seamlessly, anywhere. With premium aluminum build, the PC is extremely durable and designed to last. All-metal finish gives it a sharp, polished look—from the elevated keyboard (for comfort typing) to the new narrow bezel design. Battery life up to 11 hours with HP Fast Charge. Every detail is crafted for comfort and style, with all the power you need to get things done
- [STUNNING VISUALS]: 15.6 inch HD IPS BrightView micro-edge WLED-Backlit touchscreen display delivers a clear, crispy image that’s easy on your eye. IPS technology for wide viewing angles. Integrated Intel UHD Graphics gives you a new level of graphics performance with vibrant, lifelike color and details for internet use, photo/video editing, streaming, and gaming. Natural finger-touch navigation together with backlit keyboard makes the most of Windows 10
- [COLLABORATION READY]: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (best version of Windows OS, optimal for Business and Education) protects your data with enterprise-grade security, boosts productivity with powerful management tools, and keeps going with long battery life. Powerful Wi-Fi 5 (3x faster than Wi-Fi 5) + Bluetooth 5 supports Gigabit speed and smooth streaming of high-resolution videos, a 720p HD Webcam and B&O audio/speaker system ready for remote work, virtual meeting, and online class
8. Acer Aspire 5 A515-45-R1YC Slim Laptop
- AMD Ryzen 5 5500U Hexa-Core Mobile Processor with AMD Radeon Graphics
- 15.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
- 8GB DDR4 Onboard Memory and 256GB NVMe SSD
- 1 - USB 3.2 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps) | 2 - USB 3.2 Gen 1 Ports (one with Power-off Charging) | 1 - USB 2.0 Port | 1 - HDMI 2.0 Port with HDCP support
- Wi-Fi 6 | Backlit Keyboard | Up to 11 Hours Battery Life | Windows 10 Home
9. Acer Aspire 5 A515-46-R14K Slim Laptop
- Powerful Productivity: AMD Ryzen 3 3350U delivers desktop-class performance and amazing battery life in a slim notebook. With Precision Boost, get up to 3.5GHz for your high-demand applications
- Maximized Visuals: See even more on the stunning 15.6" Full HD display with 82.58% screen-to-body, 16:9 aspect ratio and narrow bezels
- Backlit Keyboard and Fingerprint Reader: Biometric fingerprint reader and Windows Hello sign-in options help keep your Acer PC secure
- Internal Specifications: 4GB DDR4 on-board memory (1 slot available); 128GB NVMe solid-state drive storage (1 hard drive bay available) to store your files and media
- Acer's Purified.Voice technology, features enhanced digital signal processing to cancel out background noise, improve speech accuracy and far-field pickup, which not only makes calls clearer, but makes talking to Alexa easier than before.
10. 2021 Newest Dell Inspiron 3000 Laptop
- 【Dell Inspiron Laptop】16GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 256GB PCIe NVME M.2 Solid State Drive for ample storage space.
- 【Processor】Intel Pentium Silver N5030 Processor (4 Core, 4 Threads, 4MB Cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
- 【Display】15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Anti-Glare LED-Backlit Non-touch Display, Intel UHD Graphics with Shared Graphics Memory
- 【Tech Specs】802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth, 1 x SD Card Reader, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x Wedge-shaped lock slot, 1 x Power, 1 x HDMI 1.4b, 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1, 1 x Headphone & Microphone Audio Jack
- 【Operating System】Windows 10 Home-The Windows 10 Home operating system offers built-in security and app like Mail, Calendar, Photo, Microsoft Edge, and more to help keep you safe and productive
Best Laptop For Architecture: Ultimate Buying Guide
Architects do most of their work on powerful computers. As technology advances, companies are introducing the most powerful laptops to run all high-end architecture software. Before, Architects used computers to design and model in 3D, but as technology advances, you can now do 3D modeling on a laptop.
A laptop with a high hardware configuration is required to run most of the architecture design software. Here, you will learn everything a person needs to consider when buying a laptop for architecture design.
Display and Screen resolution:
Choose a laptop with at least a 15.6-inch full HD display panel. A 15-inch laptop screen is an optimal size for the software. In addition, a 17-inch laptop screen will give the user wider and bigger graphics and allow him to concentrate on minute details.
For people concerned about the screen resolution, we recommend an FHD screen with 1920*1080 pixels at the maximum. In order to run advanced software, it is best if the screen is either 4K or 2K. In terms of a budget-friendly option, 1920×1080 pixels is the best in the industry for architecture students.
You’ll need at least a Core i3 processor of the 5th generation to achieve ultra-smooth operation in terms of CPU. Still, for maximum efficiency, Core i5 or Core i7 processors are recommended because they will also run some high-end designing software.
For architecture designs, high-end graphics are a must, so your laptop needs a dedicated graphics card. At least 2 GB of RAM is required for a dedicated graphics card. It is recommended to use 4GB or 6GB of VRAM. In high-end software environments, 4GB of VRAM makes smooth operation possible and allows 3D graphics to render swiftly.
It is essential to have enough RAM to run the CPU smoothly and ensure the laptop can run heavy-duty designing software. You will not run high-end software if your laptop has a powerful CPU and GPU but not enough RAM.
An architecture student’s laptop should have at least 8GB of RAM. The laptop can run multiple applications smoothly with 8GB of RAM and quickly boot the OS and open games.
SSD storage modules are better for architecture students than HDD storage modules. SSDs are faster, better at data storage, booting up fast, and opening games quickly. As a result, it is also tranquil for users.
256GB of SSD is enough and affordable for architecture students, but one should also choose the size of the storage space according to his needs. The price of your laptop will increase if you equip it with a large SSD.
Workstation and Gaming Cards
The Nvidia Quadro and AMD FirePro series are examples of such graphics cards today: they run on Nvidia hardware. Those working with rendering software, like architectural software, will run flawlessly on both of these graphics cards. In addition to AutoDesk, CAD software companies also recommend these. In most cases, they are too expensive, and your laptop will absolutely be heavier and bulkier. Professional architects should consider a lot of the advantages of these types of buildings:
Students of architecture definitely do not need workstation cards. NVIDIA GTX 960M cards, or similar cards, will be sufficient.
Architecture students should find the AMD cards on MacBook Pros sufficient, that is, the ones found on the 15-inch models. Large projects are not feasible for architects using the 15 Pros. The best graphics card is either a high-end workstation card or an NVIDIA card.
Weight & Battery Life
It would be fantastic to have a comfortable, portable, and strong laptop that provides continuous battery life all day.
When working on architectural projects, a laptop will be heavier, and the battery life will last less than a traditional model.
To get the best performance, you need to find the right balance between what you need (RAM, GPU, CPU) and how much weight you are willing to carry.
If you’re not sure whether you’ll need high specifications, don’t exceed those.
Seeing plenty of laptop choices before you while searching for the best laptop for architecture for interior design and modeling on your laptop is a good thing.
Choosing a laptop model suitable for your architecture requires a laptop with a good CPU and GPU memory so that high graphics-intensive tasks can be run smoothly without any technical problems.
Alternatively, you can look at other product sites available to you to find the best deal. It is essential to consider other factors before making your final decision, such as price, quality, warranty, available discount percentage, etc.