There are few things in this world that are more annoying than when the “check engine” light appears on your car’s dashboard. Not only do you have engine problems, but you don’t even know what other problems you’re running into.
For those who are less inclined to the mechanics of a car, this can be a real puzzle. In most cases, the result is that you have to take your car to a mechanic just to find out what’s wrong. Obviously, this can be a waste of time and money.
However, there is a device that will allow you to find the source of your “check engine” problems. This device is an OBD2 car scanner. There is quite a few obd2 scanner with relearn currently on the market, and you want to make sure you pick one that is high quality. We have tested many of them and our experience will be a great assistance to you while buying.
Editor’s Recommendation: Best Obd2 Scanner With Relearn
12 Most Popular Obd2 Scanner With Relearn
1. LAUNCH OBD2 Scanner CRP123E Engine ABS SRS Transmission Code Reader
Whether you’re a professional or an amateur, this scanner could be the apple of the eye for all vehicle owners.
This device is an advanced tool that builds with Android 7.2 and a touchscreen display. This device can auto diagnose your car’s Engine, Transmission, ABS, SRS, and 10 modes of OBD testing.
Getting the comprehensive health report of your vehicle is a piece of cake. This transmission relearn tool can show the data in 3 different ways to understand conveniently and send it to your email through wifi. Also, it stores and clears the fault codes.
- Wide range of compatibility
- Prolonged battery backup
- Easy to use
- Supports 9 language
- 5 years warranty
- Requires Wifi to access all feature
I used this to check and SRS air-bag code on my 2006 GMC Sierra pickup -my old reader could only do engine codes. This was able to detect the SRS module and read my code. It auto-detects the VIN and has a vehicle info wizard (make, model, etc.) every time you connect it to a vehicle which takes a little longer than I had hoped. I’ll probably stick with my smaller reader for engine codes. For the price this unit was well worth the cost. The only think that disappointed me was the fact that it does not come with a charger (it can recharge when connected to an OBD port).
2. LAUNCH Bi-Directional Automotive Scan Tool,31+ Relearn Service, Free Update
Our next product in this walkthrough is the 2022 upgraded version of the Launch X431 V Pro 4.0 bidirectional scan tool. This unit comes with bidirectional control which is pretty much impressive. Besides, this all system diagnostic tool can perform many other tasks very smoothly.
- Bi-directional Control: This unit comes with the bidirectional control feature which is capable of commanding a module for performing specific tests and functions. Even it can perform some actuation tests. Whether you talk about shutting off or turning on the a/c clutch, fuel pump, or a powerful DIY automotive tool, it is one of the best options you can have these days.
- Bluetooth Connection:When it comes to doing some specific repair works when you view the diagnostic data, this machine will allow you to get the job done conveniently. Unlike the ordinary OBD2 scanner, it comes with an exclusive Bluetooth connection instead of having a cable connector.
- Key Fob Programming:Another excellent feature of this product is key Fob programming. However, this function might not work for all cars, please keep a note of that. If you talk about rewriting codes, downloading or updating several diagnosis software, ever4ything is possible with this unit.
- All System Diagnostic: It will offer you more than 31 reset services. Being a complete automotive diagnostic tool, it is capable of reading and clearing fault codes for all car systems. For instance, engine, ABS, SRS, brake system, body, everything can be diagnosed by using this tool.
- Bi-directional control
- Key fob programming function
- All system diagnostic tool
- Excellent Bluetooth and WiFi connection
- Subscription-based service, so get ready for spending some extra money
Charne Oberholzer said
So I got my launch yesterday I’ve played with it all day I found out that the amarok bakkie we bought was in an accident that the guy didn’t tell us about and on the launch it shows both airbags and safety belts where damaged but there is no airbag light on the cluster and the safety belts work so I’d never knew that if It wasn’t for this great launch
It’s easy to use really helpful by far the best. I’m so happy with it
- 👍👍【More Versatile & POWERFUL ,2022 ADDED ADVANCED OE-LEVEL FUNCTIONS】In 2022, LAUNCH X431 PRO3S+ adds more OE-Level features to meet your expectations, such as ✔️ECU Online Coding (compatible with VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat) ✔️ADAS Calibration (calibrate camera-based & radar-based driver assistance systems) ✔️VAG Guided Functions (compatible with VW,SKODA,SEAT) ✔️AutoAuth for FCA SGW (compatible with Jeep, Alfa Romeo &Fiat after 2017)✔️Diesel Repair (use with LAUNCH X431 Heavy Duty).
- 👍👍【Support Wifi Printer/ Videoscope/ TSGUN/ X431 PROG3/ ADAS Moblie】In 2022, LAUNCH X431 PRO3S+ has been upgraded to support extended modules, to give your car more comprehensive inspections. ✅Videoscope (Check unseen parts of engine, fuel tank system, etc) ✅X431 TSGUN(activate all sensors, tpms relearn, the program only Launch Sensors); ✅X431 PROG3（VAG Group Above 3.5 IMMO); ✅X431 Printer (Print out diagnostic data/ reports) ✅X431 ADAS Moblie/ADAS PRO.
- 👍👍【Optimized Hardware Configuration+25 Languages+OBDI&OBDII Connectors and Cables 】LAUNCH X431 PRO3S+ scanner with 9.0 Android-based with large 10.1 HD IPS(1920 * 1200),7000mAh rechargeable battery(up to 20+ hours battery)2.4GHz&5GHz dual-band Wi-Fi, the transmission rate is 4 times faster than the old version. 32+128gb(expandable)storage to save more vehicle documents and customer data. CPU processor updated from 1.4GHz to 1.8GHz eight-core to perform diagnostics quickly and efficiently
- 👍👍【Bi-Direction Control+Online Coding+Over 35 service Functions+Active Test】LAUNCH X431 PRO3S+ support Key programming,Matching,SAS/TPMS/GEAR/EVAP/IMMO/EDB/AFS/SUNROOF/BRAKE/DPF/EGR/INJECTOR,Gives you the ability to use professional level relearn procedures to complete repairs or maintenance. It supports Remote Diagnostic, diagnostic feedback and respond, Data Stream record and playback, Vehicle Health Report.
- 👍👍【All System Diagnostics for 10000+ Vehicle Coverage+User-friendly 25 Languages Design】Support diagnosis functions such as reading fault codes, clearing fault codes, reading data streams, action testing, special functions, coding, matching,etc,which can be realized Car fault diagnosis for almost models and all systems. ✅Full localized 25 Languages free to use to choose your native language without encountering any sort of language barrier.
3. Best with Advanced ECU Coding: Autel Maxisys MS906BT Diagnostic Scanner
Autel Maxisys MS906BT Diagnostic Scanner is an excellent OBD2 scanner that will offer you an advanced level of ECU coding performance. There are many excellent features available in this unit that will meet your expectation.
Features and Benefits:
- Advanced ECU Coding:This unit comes with full coding capabilities. You will get all of the commonly used services and special functions from it. If you want to perform day-to-day automotive repair tasks that include coding and programming, this is the best tool. However, ECU coding is not compatible with every vehicle. So, you should check the compatibility first.
- Excellent Control and Testing Performance:You will get a great level of control and testing performance from this OBD2 scanner. It comes with the ability for bi-directional; control for performing active tests. As a result, you will be able to check the integrity of a system or parts.
- Read and Clear Codes:This professional scan tool can access all available Vehicle modules easily. It uses a VCI connection to access wirelessly several devices. So, it is very convenient for this tool to read and clear codes.
- IMMO Keys or Key Fob Programming:Whether you talk about IMMO keys function or Key Fob programming, this tool is well capable of doing that. When you need to clarify information about lost keys, key relearn or perform key remote programming, everything is possible with this tool.
What We Like
- Advanced level of ECU coding
- Great testing and control performance
- Read and clear codes
- Great Key fob programming
What We Don’t Like
- Not compatible with every vehicle
Why Should You Buy It?
This unit comes with the ability for advanced level of ECU coding. If you are looking for an OBD2 scanner with relearn tool that will offer excellent control and testing performance, it is the best one.
Rod Schmidt said
I purchased this system to replace my DS708 and boy am I happy with this purchase. The poor grammar of my DS708 seems to have been nearly completely resolved on this unit. It’s very quick to boot up and pretty straight-forward to use. I’m also VERY impressed with the frequency with which updates are available to the various manufacturers as well as the OS. I use this as a hobbyist but have yet to find something that I was expecting it to do but it doesn’t. I was originally on the fence about spending the extra for the bluetooth OBD-II adapter but that is well worth the extra for the upgrade!
4. Autel MaxiTPMS TS501 TPMS Automotive Scan Tool with Relearn Capabilities
If you’re looking for an automotive scan tool with relearn capabilities, then probably you’ve got the right one.
This device has a specialty in activating OEM/Universal TPMS sensors, TPMS reset, and relearn capabilities. Also, it allows the user to get access to the ECU and reprogram the sensor IDs.
The TPMS scan feature and 3 relearning options allow this device to accomplish both jobs accurately and effortlessly. The unique feature of this device is cloning sensor IDs and checking key FOB for transmission. Moreover, this device performs basic and detailed diagnosis operations.
- Easy to use
- Most accurate and fast result
- Reduces repair cost
- Wide range of compatibility
- Supports multiple languages
- Shows how to relearn but can’t perform it
- Incompetent for few vehicles
Pete D said
I needed a tool to diagnose a faulty TPMS sensor on my Subaru Forester. This did everything I needed. Showed which sensor was bad. I then got a replacement sensor and installed it on the wheel. The tool made it very easy to upload the new sensor ID to the car via the OBD II port. Should also work great for swapping snow tires or most anything you may need to do with TPMS. This one tool does the job of 2 tools from most other suppliers, it reads the ID and status of the sensor, then can upload to the vehicle computer.
5. OBD2 Scanner with Throttle Relearn by LAUNCH OBD2 Scanner
Launch is doing great when it comes to the OBD2 scanner. Like CRP123E, this one is also a smart device. Most of the features were found the same in these 2 models.
This OBD2 scanner with throttle relearn diagnoses issues in 4 main systems and does complete OBDII testing. Also, it runs the 5 major sensor reset operations, and it’s a unique feature.
You can get live voltage information of the battery too through this monster. CRP123E supports significant protocols like OBD, EOBD, JOBD, and KOBD. Last but not least, it reads, removes codes, and provides an expert’s solution.
- Fast and accurate result
- Can diagnose most problems
- Lifetime free update through WiFi
- Supports multiple languages
- 5 years long warranty
James Emerson said
Owning a few scanners as well as tuning software I was skeptical if this scanner could read and clear some of the modules it claims. Unfortunately for me my HPtuners software and dongle cannot read SRS codes so I decided to give this a shot. Overall I am happy, the unit is easy to use and the touch screen is a plus for me. I opted for this over the cheaper version for the ease of updating and its worth the added cost. I was surprised at the units overall size but it feels nice to hold and doesn’t feel as cheap as I thought it would. Time will tell how it holds up but I feel confident that if it is handles with care and stored appropriately its longevity and usefulness will last a long time.
6. thinkcar Code Reader TS609 Obd2 Scanner with Throttle Relearn
Are you looking for a device that can thoroughly access the ECU? Looking for an obd2 scanner with throttle relearn? Well, you’ve got one. This OBD2 scanner does the same and diagnoses engine, transmission, ABS, and airbag system issues. Also, it can turn off the check engine light.
Moreover, it scans 8 major sensors, performs onboard monitor tests, and shows I/M readiness. This device also does the job of a battery tester and shows real-time updates. To provide an accurate and fast result, it views VIN, CVN, and CIN. It reads, stores, and erases code. Also, this device shows a live data stream through 4-1 graphing and sends reports through email.
- Does several tasks
- Easy to operate
- Supports 8 languages
- 5 years warranty
Tom & Emily said
This tool is so much more than just a code scanner, this is an actual diagnostic system. I have attached a few photos showing off some of its functions, I was not able to capture all of them. This tool is capable of showing you actual live data from the sensors in your vehicle. This tool is also able to help you diagnose check engine lights, rough running conditions, fuel economy issues and so much more. This is an extremely good value for the price. This tool should work on most vehicles manufactured after in 1996. The manufacturer also included the tire pressure sensor activation tool. This tool can be used to wake your tire pressure sensors up wen rotating tires or checking sensor performance.
7. INNOVA 3160RS Pro OBD2 Scanner/Car Code Reader with Live Data
Nowadays, very few devices support both OBDI and OBDII, and this scanner is one of them. It accesses the vehicle’s ECU and diagnoses issues in 4 central systems.
This tool provides a built-in emission readiness test. The 3 LED below the display indicates whether the vehicle passes the test or not.Sometimes users can’t understand the severity of the DTC code. Well, this device will tell the users about it. The most interesting part is, it can check the battery health in hybrid vehicles. Also, it displays the live data and records the functionality.
- Easy to use
- You can get verified fixes through their app
- Supports 3 languages
If the engine doesn’t run, it needs a battery
Perfect scanner for tech that wants one of his own because shop scanner is tied up, does work at home or even the DYIer that wants a scanner that does more that read engine codes.
8. LAUNCH OBD2 Scanner CRP123 – Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Code Reader Car Diagnostic Scan Tool
Launch OBD scanners always perform well, and like always, this device won’t dissatisfy the users. It runs several diagnostic operations in your vehicle’s system and tells you what to do.
You can check the I/M readiness in this tool. Also, it’ll let you solve the issues with the check engine light. It provides live information through freeze frame data. Also, you can see live data graphically. When you don’t understand the code, just go through its DTC lookup. You’ll find the definition. This device performs advanced diagnosis by supporting generic, manufacturer-specific, and pending codes.
- Wide range of compatibility
- User-friendly interface
- Mostly accurate and fast result
- Supports multiple languages
- Can’t get access to RPM
Bought for my husband, to monitor and diagnose our means of transportation like our 05 Ford F-150. My husband’s been extremely pleased with the capability of the Launch CR123.
9. KONNWEI KW650 6V 12V Car Battery Tester
When people look for a perfect battery tester, then comes the KONNWEI KW650. Whether the battery is 6V or 12V, this battery tester is compatible with both. After that, it’ll inform you of status- good, recharge, and replace.
This device follows several test standards when measuring your battery. Moreover, it supports different battery types. The compatibility doesn’t end in cars. You can also check the battery of boats, lawnmowers, etc. with it.
You can view graphical results and overall battery data through the color screen. This tester will show you the real-time voltage changes and diagnose problems.
- Easy to use
- Fast and most accurate result
- Supports both in and out vehicle test
- Doesn’t work in few models
This was an extremely user friendly battery tester. It came in the same day I got a used batter for my mower so I hooked it up and tested it. The data popped up almost immediately as soon as I tested it. I think this is a great product and well worth the money. My only gripe is that the pouch is a little small and it’s hard to fit the tester and cord into it. However, the product itself was an extremely good deal and works flawlessly.
10. KONNWEI KW850 Car Diagnostic Tool
Running diagnosis of OBDII and EOBD functions for engine system, testing battery -Konnwei KW850 does both. It doesn’t end here.
Turning off check engine light, running O2 sensor test, EVAP systems test, and on-board monitoring test- you can do all of them with this device.
As a battery tester, it monitors the engine’s real-time battery voltage, temperature, and RPM. The manufacturer inserted 8000 generic codes that allow you to diagnose the issues correctly. Moreover, you can see both numerical and graphical live data streams.
- Compatible with both petrol and diesel vehicles
- Easy to use
- Do the job fast and accurately
- Free storage case
H J Cihak said
Some people buy extended warranties to have “breakdown insurance.” I consider the Konnwei KW850 to be “phony repair insurance.” I not only use it with my everyday vehicle, I also bring it with me when I travel around the country in my Class B motorhome. When you’re traveling and something goes wrong, you may not have the luxury of getting word of mouth on the honesty of the only mechanic who’s nearby. This scanner can give you peace of mind about what is really wrong with your vehicle at a time like that.
11. NEXAS NL101 Full OBD2 Scanner
From basic diagnosis to battery testing Nexas NL101 does all. You’ll find complete OBDII and EOBD functions in it.
Whether you want to see or remove fault codes, you can do both. Also, it diagnoses battery issues and provides 6 warning tips. If you face issues with sensors, this device will let you know what’s happening.
Can’t interpret the error codes? Just go through its DTC lookup. It’ll enlighten you. Moreover, this device solves the issues with the check engine light and MIL. Lastly, this scanner finds out emission readiness status and informs you what to do.
- Supports multiple languages
- Free protection case
- Easy to use
- Can’t solve ABS and SRS issues
- Not compatible with few vehicle models
Caleb Harman said
I purchased this code reader because my husband and I were tired of having to drive to the local Auto Zone to rent their code reader, we needed our own at home! This reader intrigued me because it had great positives, and seemed to have all the necessary components for what we needed. So far we have used it a handful of times with success, and will continue to use it. It is accurate with throwing out the right codes and really easy for anyone to understand how to use.
12. Autel AutoLink AL519 OBD2 Scanner Enhanced Mode
There’re very few tools out there that can do several tasks, and this device is one of them. It’s a compact device with strong build quality and a user-friendly interface. In addition, this device comes with a TFT color display and speaker.
It can perform several tasks, including complete OBD2 test, turn off ‘check engine’s light, keep track of live sensor data, show freeze frame data, read, store and remove fault codes, and so on without a hitch. You’ll find manufacturer-specific, generic codes, DTC Lookup and DTC Breaker. This device interprets the codes and shows suggestions about fault codes to the users.
- Easy to use
- Has a backup battery
- Lacks in some advanced features
Honestly I would like say that this was the best investment i have ever made in my life. My car started giving me problems with check engine and traction warning lights. I went get it looked at with an official licensed mechanic and he was telling me that I was looking at a possible $600-800 job. So I bought Autel autolink and it told me what exactly was the problem. So I poked it up checked it out and BOOM. It’s was a simple sensor that was loose. It saved me from getting robbed by a mechanic. Thank You Autel Autolink!!!
Transmission Relearn Scan Tool: Types of OBD2 scanners and how they work:
OBD is short for “on-board diagnosis”. OBD2 is the second version of this hardware. The first version appeared in the early 1980s, but was limited to certain makes and models. OBD2 appeared in the mid-1990s with a universal port that allows one device to scan multiple car models. Vehicles from 1996 must be compatible with OBD2 scanners. When you buy an OBD2 scanner for home use, you are probably buying a handheld scanner. Professionals in repair shops, however, will want to make use of a computer-sized OBD2 scanner.
These larger scanners have powerful processors and work quickly, so you can perform many scans in one day. The scanners deliver the data through a couple of means. Some OBD2 scanners are wired: A cable runs from the OBD2 port in the vehicle to the scanner, where it delivers the data. Other scanners communicate data through a USB, Bluetooth, or WiFi connection. Connect this type of scanner with another device, such as a smartphone, tablet or laptop, to obtain the data.
Decrypt scanner information
All OBD2 scanners can generate error codes. However, understanding what to do with those error codes can be difficult with some scanners. High-end scanners will display troubleshooting information on the screen along with the error code. This simplifies the process of solving problems while saving time. If the troubleshooting information is not displayed on the screen, the device may allow you to connect to the Internet to find the data you need.
I KNEW IT? A professional-grade OBD2 scan tool can receive data from the car’s systems and send it to the systems. This allows for more extensive troubleshooting.
OBD2 scanner features
All handheld OBD2 scanners can read basic errors, generating the appropriate error codes. Scanners can also clear error lights. But if you want some additional features, here are some things to keep in mind.
Some OBD2 manufacturers create companion applications that accompany the hardware. With an app, error codes and data can be stored on a smartphone or tablet. The app can also tap for additional information on troubleshooting error code that is stored in the cloud.
The OBD2 scanner connector has a 16-pin plug. These pins are thin and delicate. If they are damaged, the scanner will no longer work. Some scanner cables have plastic protectors around the pins, keeping them secure, which is a nice feature. Always store the OBD2 scanner carefully to avoid unintentional damage.
A handheld scanner with a large, sharp screen can display quite a bit of information. Some OBD2 scanners have a screen large enough to display both the error code and troubleshooting information.
I / M Preparation
If you live in a state where your vehicle must undergo regular inspections, you will want an OBD2 scanner with I / M function. I / M, short for inspection and maintenance, can measure vehicle systems to see if they’re ready for inspection testing.
If you want to measure a system while driving, you will need a scanner capable of measuring live data. Other scanners only work when the vehicle’s engine is not running.
If you want to remember the results of previous scans, look for an OBD2 scanner with a memory storage area. This can be useful for tracking errors as they evolve over time.
Some OBD2 scanners display the vehicle’s VIN number after scanning. Reading the scanned frame number allows you to compare it to the frame number in your vehicle’s documentation. This ensures that no one has tampered with the vehicle’s systems or changed the chassis number.
OBD2 scanner prices
Basic handheld OBD2 scanners can be purchased for a low price, typically $ 30-70. These scanners, often called code readers, check for the most basic problems. If you just want a little information on hand when you visit the repair shop, this entry-level OBD2 scanner is a good choice. (They can also erase the error lights.)
However, an entry-level OBD2 scanner will not provide immediate troubleshooting information.
Mid-range OBD2 scanners work well for people who like to do some home repair. These vehicle scanners have the ability to retrieve data from previous scans, which can be useful for comparison purposes. Called scan tools, they can diagnose both basic and extensive problems, providing data for troubleshooting. Mid-range OBD2 relearn scan tools cost between $ 70 and $ 180. The most expensive OBD2 scanners for amateur use cost between $ 180 and $ 1800. Some professional-level models cost up to $10,000. Models at the upper end of this range will not be handheld devices.
Expensive OBD2 scanning devices have the ability to add additional data to readings. For example, you can see the exact time the error code occurred, as well as any other errors that were occurring at the same time. Those who commonly do auto repairs will want a top-notch OBD2 scanner for the best results.
Guide to buy the gm Scan Tool with Relearn Capabilities
OBD2 scanners are made to work with multiple vehicle makes and models, giving them amazing versatility. If you would like to diagnose vehicle problems on your own and are interested in obtaining an OBD2 scanner, read on for valuable information to help you make the right purchase.
For the fastest performance of an OBD2 scanner, look for one that is CAN compliant. CAN is used in most cars with 2004 and later models.
Connecting an OBD2 scanner to a vehicle is an easy process. Reading the codes does not require much technical knowledge either. Still, there are a few things you need to know ahead of time. We have compiled some tips to help you be more successful with your OBD2 scanner.
- Know where to find the OBD2 port. Commonly, the port is located under the dash to the left of the steering column. The port can have a cover or a latch. If you can’t find the port, check the internet – there are multiple online sites that have the correct information for your make and model of vehicle.
- Gently plug in the scanner. Don’t force it. If the scanner and port are properly aligned, they should be inserted with minimal force. Using too much force could damage the pins.
- Know how far to turn the key. Some OBD2 scanners require you to start and run the car’s engine while scanning. Others require that you turn the key halfway to activate the vehicle’s power systems.
- Have your data ready. Depending on the scanner, you may have to enter the make and model of your car before the unit starts scanning.
- Plan how you will log error codes. Once the scan is complete, the codes will appear on the screen. You can write them, send them to a smartphone via wireless connection, or send them to a printer or laptop via USB.
Obd2 Scanner With Relearn: FAQs
Why would I want an OBD2 scanner? After all, I can’t fix my car by myself.
Having an OBD2 scanner at home is useful even for those with no mechanical background. When running the scanner, you may encounter error codes that give you an idea of what is wrong with the vehicle. Then you can make an informed decision about whether the car should be taken to a mechanic immediately or if the problem can wait. Also, you will know if the repair shop is treating you fairly with respect to the proposed repairs.
What vehicle problems can an OBD2 scanner detect?
An OBD2 scanner can detect any error code that could trigger a MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) in the vehicle. These lights may include an engine check light, an oil error light, or a battery error light. The purpose of the MIL is to alert you to a problem. Using an OBD2 scanner, you can then identify the exact problem that caused the MIL.
What do the OBD2 codes mean?
The error code displayed on the OBD2 screen follows a certain pattern. The first character is a letter meaning the area of the vehicle with the error. “B” means a body problem, while “C” means a chassis problem. The numbers that make up the rest of the code more accurately point to the problem. Rather than trying to memorize codes, OBD2 scanners typically show the code’s meaning or connect it to an application that can define the code for you.
We’ve compiled a list of some great obd2 scanner with relearn and gone through what features they offer so that you can find one that will meet all of your needs. All of them are heavy duty and works really smoothly. Hopefully, we could provide you with enough directions and insight so that you can buy the proper one for you.
- Best 11×17 printer for architects
- OBD2 Scanner for iPhone
- Best OBD2 Scanner With Key Programmer
- Top Budget OBD2 Scanner
- Which is the Best OBD2 App for Android